Tuesday, February 26, 2013

AOM Meditations: Our Inner Child 022613



There is within each of us a child.  A child who, to one degree or another, did not receive the parenting he or she wanted.  There was not enough love or care or support.

We keep looking for someone to be the good parent, someone to count on.  We demand that our own parents change and apologize for their mistakes or inadequacies.  They often become defensive and refuse; they didn't have a "total" parent, either.

There is only one way to get superb parenting of the child who will always be within you.  Only one person truly knows what that child wants.  Only one person will, or can, love and nurture that child to the point of peace and joy.  Only one person can be the good mother, father, brother, sister.  You are your best parent and friend.

Accept, love, and care for the child within you.

~Joan Chittister




Our inner child is still in there somewhere, 
aching to be let loose from all the layers 
we've piled on over the years.  
Why not break him out for the day or even a moment?  
Be playful.  
Blow some bubbles.  
Skip around the block.  
Feel the freedom.  
Take fearlessness out for a test run.  
Let yourself have some fun.

~Lynn Hasselberger




I am often accused of being childish.  
I prefer to interpret that as child-like.  
I still get wildly enthusiastic about little things.  
I tend to exaggerate and fantasize and embellish.  
I still listen to instinctual urges.  
I play with leaves.  
I skip down the street and run against the wind.  
I never water my garden without soaking myself.  
It has been after such times of joy 
that I have achieved my greatest creativity 
and produced my best work.

~Leo Buscaglia
(Bus 9 to Paradise)

No comments:

Post a Comment