Sunday, January 20, 2013

MUSIC: Mahler Symphony No. 2


8 Minutes of Glorious Power
from the 5th Movement of Mahler's 2nd Symphony

The finale of Mahler's 2nd is one of my favorite classical pieces
Today I want to share a specific sections from the 5th movement
(Of course I'd love it if you listen to the entire performance)

WHY THIS 8 MINUTE SECTION?

Years ago, I visited the Grand Canyon
I had today's selection cued up on my iPod
I closed my eyes and positioned myself 
to see the canyon for the first time
(I had a friend position me so I wouldn't fall in.) LOL

I started the music and then, 
when the music reached the magic moment
I opened my eyes and saw the canyon for the first time
It was a GLORIOUS Experience


There are better performances of Mahler's 2nd
I chose this performance 
because of the audio quality of the uploaded video

Overall this performance is very good - not the best - but very good
And VERY POWERFUL!
The solo vocalists are not as good as I've heard before
This performance does have some extraordinary moments
I really like Dudamel's vision of Mahler's 2nd
The antiphonal brass section 
Up in the balcony is superb

If you don't have the time to listen to the entire symphony
I would suggest listening from 
the 54:20 mark  to the end

Mahler: Symphony No. 2 "Resurrection"
Gustavo Dudamel conducting 
the Simon Bolivar Symphony Orchestra 
with The National Youth Choir of Great Britain 
at the BBC Proms 2011.
Soloist: Miah Persson and Anna Larsson


Here's the section I want you to hear
JUST 8 MINUTES

Click Play then
Slide the seek bar to the
1:02:00 mark
and listen through to the 1:10:00 mark
The Magic Moment: Cymbal crash at the 1:03:29 mark
The end of what I want you to hear comes about one minute after you see
The close up of the Triangle player BUT you really should listen to it to the end
It is one of the greatest musical experiences of my life. It is well worth the time to Truly listen.




No comments:

Post a Comment